Abbés SALADI (1950-1992).
Snake Heads (Family) and Couple under a Tree along the Pond's Edge.
To drawings recto verso on a sheet:
- colored pencil, rubbings and China ink signed lower right.
- colored pencil and China ink.
Stains, slight tear and crease, traces of adhesive tape.
32 x 24 cm (12-1/2 x 9-1/4 in.).
Saladi, a self-taught artist inspired by imagination, possesses a world of his own, remarkable works, a painter who does not fall into any Moroccan art history category during the last decades.
Pauline de Mazières presents the artist's work in the catalogue for the exhibition at Villa des Arts held in 1999-2000, Casablanca, Morocco :
« The first works are « remplies » (filled), - which drew the attention of the Director of the American Language Center at place Jamaà el Fna- were embellished with a multitude of signs, details, stories, teeming universe that were bewitching and enigmatic. Then in the early 80s, the drawing simplified, structured, organized, thus becoming almost ethereal. During certain difficult times particularly marked by suffering and illness, the drawings takes a turn becoming obsessively meticulous and hallucinatory. Towards the end of those years, the emphasis is on exuberant gardens teeming with luxuriant greenery where relaxing men converse with birds. Birds, a recurring theme, are omnipresent in Saladi's works and encompass his works from beginning to the end like Ariadne's thread.
The paintings of the last few years, those of success and fame recall the drawings of figures " with face" of his early career, but as crushed, flattened, grotesque, almost caricatures and all this in various combinations and always in the same shades of blue, pinks and yellows. "
Solo exhibitions :
- 1978 : American Language Center, Marrakech, Morocco
- 1979 :
1) Centre culturel français, Marrakech, Morocco
2) Galerie Ambre, Marrakech, Morocco
3) Club Méditerranée, Marrakech, Morocco
4) Hôtel Saâdi, Marrakech, Morocco
1) Galerie 77, Marrakech, Morocco
2) American Language Center, Marrakech, Morocco
- 1982 : Galerie l'Atelier, Rabat, Morocco
- 1984 : Galerie l'Atelier, Rabat, Morocco
- 1985 :
1) Galerie Jean-Marie Cupillard, Grenoble, France
2) Galerie l'Atelier, Rabat, Morocco
- 1986 : Centre culturel français, Marrakech, Morocco
- 1987 : Hôtel Tichka, Marrakech, Morocco
- 1988 Chorfi Art Gallery, Casablanca, Morocco
- 1999 : Galerie Bab Doukkala, Marrakech, Morocco
- 1992 : Galerie Bassamat, Casablanca, Morocco
- 1999-2000 : Villa des Arts, Casablanca, Morocco
- -- Visitor(s) for this item
Abbés SALADI (1950-1992).