Rare polychrome and gilt enameled porcelain plate painted with coat of arms for Matthaeus de Neufvilles of Amsterdam. Center ornated with coat of arms stamped with plume helmet and surrounded by iron spear tips frieze. Inner rim with cell pattern and flowers frieze. Outer rim accented with bouquets, fruits and helmet crest representing a gilt gryphon head with spread wings.
China, Yongzheng Period (1723-1735)
Diameter: 22,7 cm (9 in.)
Matthaeus de Neufvilles of Amsterdam (1686-1743)
For several similar plates from the same service consult:
- Auction for American merchant Khalil Rizk (April 25, 2008, lot 19, sold $1,875.). Exhibtied at Fall Antiques Show, San Francisco in 1995
- Jochem Kroes, Chinese Armorial Porcelain for the Dutch Market, p. 144, cat. no. 50.
- Lunsingh Scheurleer, Chine de commande, pl. 268.
- Christie's, Amsterdam on November 19, 1996, lot 199.
For the coat of arm’s identication consult Rietstap, Vol. II, p. 308.
Two other services with de Neufville coat of arms are known, one includes an alliance coat of arms with de Wolff.
One similar example is in the Victoria & Albert Museum collections under n° C.233-1931
(Ceramics Study Galleries, Asia & Europe, room 137, case 13, shelf 3)
- Item(s) quantity: 1
- Expertissim Reference: 2014070272