Multi-lobed porcelain plate with enameled decoration of a European oboe player seated on pierced boulder with flowers. Flowers and Rococo border. Outer rim interspersed with birds and flowered branches
China, Qianlong Period (1735-1796)
Diameter: 23 cm (9 in.).
Minor chips underneath and small chip on border
This model illustrated by Hervouët & Bruneau (La porcelaine de la compagnie des indes à décor occidental [India Company Porcelain with European Subjects Decoration], Paris, 1986, figs. 4.29, 6.62, 8.3 and 8.10) was known with different central figures whether musicians, lady holding a flower bouquet or young man holding a bird in his hand
One plate of the same pattern can be found in the collections of the Royal Museums of Art and History, Brussels and was exhibited in Hong Kong in 1889 (Chinese Export Porcelain, Hong-Kong, 1989, pp. 126-7, n°39. Another from the Mottahedeh Collection, was published in Howard and Ayers (China for the West, London and New York, 1978, vol. II, p. 359, n348).
- For one identical plate, see Sotheby’s Monaco, Collection François Hervouët, Porcelaines de Chine à décor occidental, June 22, 1987, lot 1621
- For two platters and one plate, see Christie’s London, Chinese Export Ceramics from a European Private Collection, Christie’s, May 11, 2004, lot 70.
- For one large platter, see Tajan, April 25, 2005, lot 13
- For one pair of boxes, see Christie’s London, November 13, 2001, lot 282
- Items quantity: 1
- Expertissim Reference: 2013020280
- Specialities :